Monday, April 11, 2011

Acadiana and Barrister's Ball

Last Friday, my school had its Barrister's Ball, which is like law school prom, essentially. My bf flew in from LA for the event, and we went out for a group dinner before the event to a local DC restaurant called Acadiana. Acadiana is well known for its seafood, and I ordered the New Orleans Style Barbecue Shrimp after seeing that it was voted "USA Today Top 25 Dishes 2005."

Before the food came out, they gave us some biscuits with a sweet and sour sauce/butter mix. The biscuits were nothing spectacular - better than KFC but nothing to write home about. The spread was unique but didn't amaze me either.




We went with a big group, so our food took a while to come out, but the shrimp finally arrived:



I was actually quite disappointed with my dish, as the sauce was much too salty and the food just tasted oversauced. They served a small individual-sized loaf of bread with it, and I think you're supposed to use the bread to sop up some of the sauce. The bread was actually delicious on its own - very soft and tasty without being bland, but the sauce was just too salty and ruined the whole dish.


My friend's duck was much better, and my boyfriend's pork was marginally better. Overall, I'd give this restaurant a B. For the price, I think you could do much better in DC.



Acadiana

901 New York Ave., NW

Washington, DC 20001

202-408-8848


For the ball, I wore a one-shouldered navy evening gown from Ralph Lauren with a jeweled accent on the shoulder. I wore nude bejeweled sandals (not pictured) and carried a small clutch. The ball was held at DC's National Historical Society, which was a gorgeous venue.



It ended up getting REALLY crowded by the end of the night, so I didn't stay that long, but it ended up being a fun night overall.


I actually recycled this outfit the next night when my boyfriend and I went out for a fantastic meal at Adour and to watch a ballet at the Kennedy Center. I'll do another post on that night soon!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You and your friends look really pretty!!! The food at the restaurant looks really good. Too bad it was salty :(