Wednesday, November 25, 2009

concealers and full coverage foundations

Having dabbled in freelance makeup artistry, I have an obsession with professional cream foundations, like the ones by Joe Blasco, RCMA, Cinema Secrets, Ben Nye, etc. All my friends who are working professionally as MAs swear by them for photo shoots so I'm always on the hunt to get them all. Like Pokemon!

For the most part, however, I've been disappointed since they tend to be oil-based and do not work on my oily skin. They look great when freshly applied but tend to slip and slide around as the day wears on (even with a good primer and powder). I mostly just save them for occasions when I will be photographed a lot since they do photograph really well.

The latest foundation that I tried is RCMA. I had read on MUA that it had coverage comparable to KA SSE but that was NOT the case on me. I wear a MAC C3 in their studio fix and got the RCMA foundation in KO-2 which was a great match. It has medium-full coverage in my opinion. One of the advantages of these cream foundations is that they can be layered for heavier coverage but I still didn't find that I could get the kind of coverage with RCMA that I could get with any of the 3 concealer/full coverage foundations listed below. Compared to Cinema Secrets, it transfers a lot less (which was my main complaint with CS) and doesn't oxidize as much as CS did. It also imparts a more natural finish than my Ben Nye matte cream foundation. It is also not as greasy feeling as Joe Blasco's Ultrabase, so of these theatrical brands, I have to say that RCMA is my favorite but it's definitely not something I reach for everyday.

I've had no problems with breakouts from it, though, which is nice. The coverage is not enough for my under-eye circles during my hellish weeks of reading and library-ing, though, so I would still recommend a stronger full-coverage concealer if you have things to cover up (like I do). Below is a pic of the RCMA:
As you can see, it is very simple, no bells or whistles, just nice and practical.

The next products I'll be reviewing are pictured below:
L-R: CoverFX foundation in M30, MAC concealer in NW20, and KA SSE in SX07. Why is my MAC soooooo light? I use that almost exclusively for my undereye circles and I like using a cooler-toned, lighter concealer there because it not only counteracts my dark undereye circles but the lighter color also helps brighten the face/bring out my undereye area, which in turn makes my face look more "sculpted," especially when combined with contouring.

I purchased the CoverFX foundation on the recommendation of a Canadian professional MA who swore by it for all her photoshoots. Sadly, however, it has not quite worked out for me for everyday use. The color is a good match for me and it looks great upon initial application, but it tends to settle into pores and wears off unevely as the day wears on, so that I end up looking rather speckled by the end of the day. NOT a good look! Since this one is close to my actual skincolor, I use this as a normal concealer if I get a blemish or if I have a bruise or something on my body (I'm clumsy and run into things a lot!)

I actually purchased the MAC full coverage foundation on the recommendation of my old roommate, who was a MAC MA, and she told me that this foundation is the secret to a lot of the MAC MA's FLAWLESS looking skin. I am actually contemplating getting this in a darker shade for days when I want FULL full coverage but I have not had occasion to need such heavy coverage yet. If you want a truly flawless look with maximum coverage, I'd say this foundation is the best of the bunch. This compact will last you FOREVER too, since a little goes a long way.

My last one, KA Sensual Skin Enhancer, is also great for that purpose but it's a lot pricier at around $45 for that tiny jar. For that reason, I only use it as a concealer. It is a LIFESAVER when I get a really nasty blemish or have insane undereye circles. It has the most coverage out of any face product I've ever seen. People complain that the texture is too stiff, and yes, it is stiff if you're planning on using this as a foundation. But for a concealer, the stiffer texture is great since it keeps the product from sliding around your face and ending up in places other than where you meant it to be. The color is actually a little bit light on me, as this line runs VERY light. I love that the yellow tones run really yellow (since I'm really yellow) but I think it may be too yellow for girls who wear a NC something in MAC.

Overall, I'd say you can skip the CoverFX, get the MAC Full coverage for a great, cost-effective concealer/full coverage foundation, and get the KA SSE for occasions when you might need hardcore FULL coverage.

No comments: